Re: opening new windows

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:33:05 +0100, Scarlett Julian (ED) wrote:

> I know that it's not good practice to open new windows but I think
> that there are instances where it is valuable from a usability point
> of view.

While there might be usability benefits to opening new windows in some
causes, there are usability problems with them in all cases.

> Currently I am working on a help system for an intranet and
> want the help page(s) to open in a new window (with the necessary
> prior warning to users of course) so that users can work through the
> help page whilst still looking at the site. My questions is, since
> the use of target is deprecated, how is it possible to open a new
> window without the use of javascript?

That depends on the browser. Right clicking on the link and picking
"Open in new window" does the trick for most people.

JavaScript or legacy versions of HTML are the only ways to specify it
in an HTML document.

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/