Re: Judging Web Site Accessibility

From: <Andrew.Arch@visionaustralia.org.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:56:12 +1000
To: craig@4thandgoal.com
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hello Craig,

My colleague recently presented a paper at the AusWeb03 conference looking
at Flash from a WCAG 1.0 perspective to assist developers to improve
accessibility - it may help with assessments too. See
http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/aw03/conf/program.html and look for Flash.

Dr Andrew Arch
Manager Online Accessibility Consulting, National Information and Library
Ph 613 9864 9222; Fax 613 9864 9210; Mobile 0438 755 565
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/webaccessibility |
http://www.it-test.com.au/ | http://www.dc-anz.org/

Member, Education & Outreach Working Group,
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative

                      "Craig Hadley"
                      <craig@4thandgoal        To:       <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
                      .com>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Judging Web Site Accessibility
                      28/06/2003 04:37

I saw the subject and a question immediately popped into my mind.

Someone recently passed on to me the link of a site that saying "This is
really neat and wouldn't it be great to do our site like this." The site in
question is http://www.thedesk.info.

When I went to take a look at the site I noticed that it is all in Flash
the people involved with this group are highly respected long time

So how would one "judge the accessibility" of an all Flash site as the
techniques that one (or at least I) would use are not applicable (Lynx,
source code, etc.)? Is there an automated Flash "accessibility" checker?
Flash evolved enough to be even asking these question in regards to
Web Site Accessibility"? And might the usability benefits to the targeted
users (people with developmental disabilities) be important enough to
consider Flash for ease of use?

Craig Hadley
Madison WI