From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Matthew Smith
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 6:22 AM
To: Lauke PH
Cc: WAI Interest Group
Subject: Re: .wu format

Hi All

>>I am finding web pages that end in .wu anyone know what software
>>produces this?
>>
 > In theory, the extension for webpages can be arbitrary, as long as  >
your server is configured to send out the correct MIME type for a  >
certain file. I keep threatening to change some pages at work  > to
.chicken just to prove the point...

What Patrick says is very true; I produce most of my pages through Perl
programmes and have (in the past) used any number of "non-standard"
suffixes; for instance, if we had the domain foobar.com, I would have
the starting page as foobar.com which would have a URI of
http://foobar.com/foobar.com - sad really ;-)  With the Apache Web
server, provided that you define .com (or .wu) as being a Perl (or
whatever) file:
AddHandler cgi-script .com	[or .wu]
...and you set the DirectoryIndex to be foobar.com, this is what will be

picked up by default.

When it comes to CGI programmes (not in the DocumentRoot directory), you

can have whatever extension you like since they are completely ignored -

at least in a Unix-ish environment.  [It's up to the programme to send
the correct MIME type rather than trying to work it out from the file
extension.]  You could even have a Perl programme tagged as .php, .cf or

.asp...

Conclusion: You can't be 100% sure about what is producing a Web page
from the file extension.  If you're concerned with accessibility, you
should be looking at the CONTENT rather than the means by which it is
produced.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy