Re: pop-ups: blame the criminal not the weapon

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:04:56 +0000
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>

> From the various responses to the 2 things at once thread, it seems
> there is still plenty of work considering what is possible, and very
> little yet done on setting standards.
>
> given that if someone clicks on a 'listen' radio link, they expect
> radio to play.
> the possible options are:in a frame, a pop-up, pop-under or an option
> to open in a new window
>
> This relies on knowing the abilities of the user, or at least making
> assumptions about their abilities.
>
> Frames are not great because they impinge on the rights of the
> originating station(unless...).
> shift, assumes a keyboard, aquaintance with the shortcut, and there is
> an additional problem that the new window will not be sized
> appropriately.
> DHTML techniques are available, but they are not publicised by WAI
> AFAIK.
>
> Blind users, and others do have problems with pop-ups, but this does
> not appear to be an over-riding argument.
>
> I'd prefer not to use pop-ups, but we need much better guidance on
> appropriate alternatives. A bland refutation is not sufficient.
>
> Jonathan

If one suggests a plain link as a possible option, should  it resize
the window? as this apparently is not recognised by the back button,
one can quickly get in a pickle, and it is somewhat irrational to
expect the average user to desire a full-size window, together with the
somewhat dubious pleasure of resizing the window under their own
control.....(hence, one may need to differentiate shift click and click)

Jonathan

this was discussed recently in another thread, but to avoid confusion,
thought it perhaps best to duplicate here.