Re: ALT as required attribute

From: Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:53:32 +1030
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi All

David Woolley wrote:
> Mozilla substitutes the alt text for disabled or broken graphics and
> reflows the resulting text as though the image weren't there.  I would
> have thought that made checking alt text easier.  (Turning off images
> won't necessarily cause existing ones to disappear.)

I tend to keep all graphics in a specific directory - turning off the
read permission of the directory is a good way of seeing all the alt
attributes in Mozilla, throughout a site.

To maintain corporate fonts, logos, etc., I create company names in
their appropriate font as graphics, duplicating the image text in the
alt atribute.  When these are inserted into h1 elements (since they are
page headers), things look amazingly 'normal' and clean in Mozilla once
the images are blocked.  I find this a very handy way of getting a feel
for the site in a graphic-free environment.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
IT Consultant - KBC, South Australia
http://www.kbc.net.au