Re: tooltip onfocus

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:03:07 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> *I had not realised that tooltip onmouseover is not a w3c standard for
> visual browsers, though was aware that opera behaved somewhat

Tooltips are not a W3C standard.  They just happen to be how Microsoft
chose to implement alt attributes initially, and then title, using an
existing user interface concept, designed for a very different purpose
for alt and for a slightly different one for title.

Most commercial designers seem to think that alt means tooltip, rather
than alternative text.  For them, though a tooltip tends to be be an
instruction, rather than simply an explanation, as title should be.