Re: Frames and Accessibility

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:30:36 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Can you tell me if there are any current STRICT DTD's that don't
> actually handle frames at all?  It doesn't worry me unduly; I used to

All versions of HTML below 4.  HTML 4 Strict, HTML 4.01 Strict,
XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1.  So, no STRICT DTDs support frames.

Frames, as currently implemented, appear in only HTML 4 Transitional,
HTML 4.01 Transitional, and XHTML 1.0 Transitional.  The Frameset
DTDs are small wrappers round the Transitional DTDs that set a
flag requiring a frameset, rather than a body, immediately after
the head.  The Transitional DTDs are the only ones that define
the target attribute.