RE: Longdesc attribute for images

From: Lauke PH <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:21:32 +0100
To: <tina@greytower.net>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> > I think you may have slightly misunderstood the original email
> > from this thread. The problem is that, in theory, browsers should
> > give users a simple, easy, automatic way of accessing the page
>
>   I think we are rather talking about two diffent things:
> structure and
>   browser design.

Yes, exactly...the original email by yoan did ask if we should drop
the use of the longdesc attribute because of inconsistent/missing browser
support for it.

(rereading the way I worded it - "I think you may have slightly
 misunderstood" etc - I realise it may have come across as rather
rude...apologies, it wasn't meant to be)
>   Just because only a few actually *uses* a certain type of
> structure or
>   information is no reason to stamp it as 'useless'. The LINK
> mechanism
>   is a case in point - even if it IS given a highly
> subjective 'better'
>   way of activation in agents which support it.

For what it's worth, that was the basic gist of my first reply to yoan.

I think we're all pretty much in agreement then that the concept of
longdesc is well worth keeping - of course - but that browser support
for easy ways of "using/accessing" the longdesc url could be better...

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk