Re: JavaScript and Accessibility

Jesper,

why am I not amazed no one has mentioned:
Client-side Scripting Techniques for Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines 2.0
http://www.learningdifficulty.org/develop/script-techs.html
This is coming up for a year old, and needs plenty more contributions.

determining that we need a site to provide suitable content without
javascript barely scratches the surface. it is important to recognise
that we don't yet have a sensible or sensitive alternative to games,
thus this guideline is almost meaningless in this respect. playing ludo
has little if anything to do with "alt=ludo game" this may be
accessible by current standards, but is not in the spirit of
accessibility. providing a page of game instructions is not good enough
either. what is needed is a description of what makes an accessible
game, and some excellent examples.
(Game is used to mean interactive experience on a single page.)

One needs to consider whom one is enabling. reasons that javascript can
aid accessibility are numerous. alternative technologies such as CSS
can and should replace some scripts.

http://www.peepo.com uses javascript to create interactive learning
experiences:
to play a sound onmouseover
to preclude a need for scroll bars (liquid)
to enable the letter keyboard to be interactive, encouraging
development of literacy skills, play music.....
to track the mouse, and respond appropriately.
to provide alternative means of printing to the standard browser
'print' button.
to disable mice buttons, for users who may not yet be ready for
buttons. some activities that have helped some of our least able users
gain confidence and learn mouse / touchscreen skills are here:
http://www.peepo.com/alfi-x/splat.html . take a look and see if you can
work out why they are like they are. If you have an idea how they could
enable without javascript let me know, I'd love them to be more
accessible, but am not going to provide something that is of very
little benefit to anyone, as a sop to accessibility.

thanks

Jonathan