Re: Automatic Detection of Screen Readers and Other Assistive Technology

Being able to determine if the user has a screenreader via Flash does have
some utility and does not involve asking the user to disable security.  One
specific case might be if a developer creates an Flash movie that is
inaccessible to screen reader users (perhaps because of something as simple
as using a drop-down list, perhaps because of some activity that requires
multiple simultaneous points of focus).  The developer might also create a
version that is useable by a person with a new version of JAWS or
Window-Eyes.  The developer certainly should provide a way for anyone to
move from either version to the other, but could utilize the ability to
detect the screen reader to load the useable version of the Flash content
initially for these users.

A JAWS 4.02 user will want to access a non-flash" alternative, which could
also be provided, but the selection process would be manual.

AWK

--
Andrew Kirkpatrick
CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media

617-300-4420 (direct voice/FAX)
617-300-3400 (main NCAM)
617-300-2489 (TTY)

WGBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate,
inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of
learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.