RE: Question about semantics & meaning of live text logo.

Daniel,

I've played around with this a bit, and had a stab at solving
the issue...let's say the solution still eludes me at this
stage...

My attempt: marking up the typographical logo in a span with
a "clean" title, e.g.

Not sure if semantically this would be correct or not (I
suspect it's the latter). Also, lynx and JAWS still display/read
the "greater than greater than greater than" part.

Hmm...just writing this, I had a sudden thought: this may be
an exotic yet valid situation in which to use CSS2's :before and
:after pseudo elements
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#before-and-after
In my case above, something along the lines of:

#typographicallogo:before {
  content: ">>>"; /* now, why doesn't &gt; work in this case ? */
}

(see http://dev.salford.ac.uk/testing.html for a live version...
saves you typing it up)

Obviously, this will only work in CSS2 compliant browsers...but
is it a viable solution ? The typographical embellishments, if you
want to call them that, are not strictly part of the content, but
of the presentation...so to my untrained eye the solution of sticking
them completely in the CSS is a reasonable one. Ideas, thoughts,
suggestions ?

Patrick
Patrick H. Lauke
Webmaster / University of Salford