RE: Is CAPTION always necessary?

From: RUST Randal <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 08:52:13 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Tina Marie Holmboe said:

>    The question here is "Why?" - why do you feel a need to
> 'get away with'
>   not using it ? Throw in a caption. It's not like it's doing
> any harm.

Because I don't want to have the page title as 'Users' and then the
table caption as 'Users.' Plus it's there in the summary. It's redundant
whether you're looking at the table or having it read to you. In my
mind, it does harm. I feel like it's insulting someone's intelligence to
say, "It's a table of users." basically three times.

My question is really about whether or not it causes an accessibility
issue by not including the <caption>. I can't see how it would.

Randal Rust
Covansys Corp.
Columbus, OH