RE: OT - A Simple Plea

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 18:30:46 +0100 (BST)
To: "Hoffman, Geoffrey" <ghoffman@aztrib.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Hoffman, Geoffrey wrote:

> There's already a perfect solution to out-of-office replies and spam.
It's
> called the Delete Key.

Only up to a point.  If you get over 1000 spam messages a day (as I would
if my server didn't aggressively filter them), then you're going to miss
the occasional genuine message amongst them.  Particularly when that
message has a suspiciously bland/generic subject line, as is often the
case with correspondents whose native language is not English.

Can I suggest people simply upgrade their mail software?
The "vacation" program, for instance, has been free since at least
the 1980s, and isn't so dumb as to reply to mailinglists.

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html