Inaccessible solutions (Re: Slightly OT: Web Accessibility Certifications)

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> Hey, neat, I don't qualify:
>
> http://www.nfb.org/seal/wacs.htm
>
> I don't use JAWS or WindowEyes,

Neither does the blind lady I recently had a long conversation with
on the train.  She cited cost as the reason for not using the Web,
which suggests to me that the organisations for the blind have
FAILED HER by concentrating exclusively on expensive options that
she - and doubtless many, many others - could not contemplate.

> I guess I'm not good enough to be an NFB "Web Accessibility
> Consultant".

Me neither.

> --Kynn, Mac OS X user who would have to spend over $1000 to buy
> Microsoft Windows software he'd never use in order to be certified...

Do we have any JAWS or WindowEyes users on this list who are completely
responsible for their own system administration?  How do you deal with
the security nightmare of exposing Windows to the 'net?  Did you fare
better than M$ and other resource-rich corporations when they got hit
by the slapper worm a few weeks ago, for instance?

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html