Re: CSS optimised for different browsers

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 19:49:23 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

>    To me it seems reasonable that three different browsers should identify
>   themselves with three different User-Agent headers. Ignoring, for a moment,
>   the misuse that this header has been put to, the idea to use if for

But is exactly the misuse that means there is a market demand for minority
browsers to allow their users to configure the User Agent string - it's
almost an FAQ for Lynx as to what User Agent string one should use, as
default, to make servers believe they are dealing with a big 2 browser.

As I've pointed out before, IE pretends to be Netscape and has done for
more than half a decade.