Re: CSS optimised for different browsers

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:30:48 -0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

"David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:200211192102.gAJL29d08396@djwhome.demon.co.uk...

> > Do you have an example URL for the javascript technique ?
>
> Look at almost any site that has a blank home page (with scripting
> off) and you will find browser sniffing scripting.

Indeed, everything out there is very poor, and those people who have even
heard of things like IceStorm, wouldn't be doing any sort of browser
sniffing on the client or server, so no-one has created the huge script
that could actually distinguish between all the different script capable
browsers. I have 3 browsers, IceStorm, IE5.5, and Pocket Internet
Explorer 3 - which all send the same HTTP USER AGENT to the server, so
the server cannot distinguish between them, but you could on the client
(when script is enabled) .

Either server or client is unreliable though, and you cannot create an
accessible page using the technique (unless all pages are accessible to
all anyway which would kind of defeat the object of serving different
documents).

Jim.