Re: CSS optimised for different browsers

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:08:37 -0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

"Matthew Smith" <matt@kbc.net.au> wrote in message
news:3DD619F3.2000304@kbc.net.au...
> > I'm aware that I've painted myself into an accessibility corner here,
but
> > I'm wondering whether it is possible to have the page load a simple
default
> > CSS, then somehow detect the browser and load the alternative CSS
optimised
> > for IE if applicable (and would that be an acceptably accessible
solution)?.
> > I don't have access to any server side technology. Can anyone advise
?

> Do you have access to any server-side scripting (CGI)?  The usual way
> would be to do something in JavaScript, but I think that it's probably
> not wise to make the assumption that the client a) has it and b) it
> actually works as it's meant to; server-side scripting eliminates any
> dependency on the client's browser - I write in Perl and my external
> style sheet is actually a Perl programme that can be fed parameters,
> like what browser you are dealing with, etc.

Javascript is actually likely to be more reliable than any serverside
method (in that it may well hold its hands up and say "I dunno" where js
is disabled, but at least it wouldn't be positively identifying the wrong
browser), neither are going to be good enough to identify a browser
though, client-side javascript could at least distinguish between
IceStorm 5 and IE 5 for example.

http://pixels.pixelpark.com/~koch/hide_css_from_browsers/  has another
approach.

Jim.