Re: DC2002 and Accessibility Metadata

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:42:05 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Opening new windows in no way relies on javascript, and when javascript

Need not, but in the real world does.  Most windows are opened
with href="#" onclick= or href="javascript:...", not with
href="fallback URL" onclick=... or href="wanted URL" target="...
(The # is literally a hash not a place holder in my example.)

> The default behaviour in UA's that I know of is for the history to be
> copied to new windows, therefore the back button will work, it has to be

The default behaviour of the ones I use, including IE5.5, is to clear
the history when the window is opened using the object model, or
target=.  IE5.5 does retain it when opened using the menus, but that
is not we are talking about.  The Mozilla's I've used clear the current
URL and history when manually opening a fresh window.  I haven't
checked the behaviour for right click open in new window.