Re: validator questions-css/html 4.01 trans

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:46:08 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> When I put through a page that has a <ul> it tells me that I can't have
> phrase the validator gave me was:
> Error: element "BR" not allowed here; assuming missing "LI" start-tag

Strictly speaking, even having a BR element will not introduce blank
lines, as its origins owe more to .br in troff, than to line feed in
ASCII.  However the big 2 do interpret it that way.

The right way to do is is to set the top and/or bottom margin on LI,
using CSS, but the hack way to do it on the big 2 (but *NOT* on Lynx)
is to put the BR before the /LI.