Using an input of type file with the keyboard (was Re: Q on AccessKey attribute)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:48:56 -0500
"Franczak, Gloria R ERDC-CERL-IL"
<Gloria.R.Franczak@erdc.usace.army.mil> wrote:

> And I wish that Macromedia (.cfm) & .html would/could come up with a
> way for non-mouse users (as well as blind users) to access the input
> tag when the Type attribute is set to File, without interfering with
> any of the other Alt-key combinations (that accesses the menu'ed
> items).  <input type="File"....
> It will only work with a mouse.  Using the "Enter" key there won't do
> it -- it acts more like a "Submit" button there.

I'm not entirely certain I understand you, but you appear to be saying
that you can't activate the "browse" button for a <input type="file">
with the keyboard.

A quick test shows that for Mozilla under Linux and IE 6 under Windows
you can tab to the button then tap the spacebar to activate it (calling
up a file chooser dialog box)

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/