Re: Support for LONGDESC

"Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>

http://www.ibm.com/able/hpr.html
> >It will even speak with a British accent.
>
> British accent: very nice.

Well nicer than Australian :-)

> That would mean that a javascript extension to
> explorer should be able to get it too - if there isn't such a tool
available,
> maybe someone can produce one. (This is the sort of thing that Jim Ley
seems
> to be good at, so I hope if nobody else does he reads this message).

Snufkin currently adds D-Links if there's a longdesc attribute, but
Snufkin isn't really the sort of thing you'd want to use regularly.

_IE_ bookmarklet to do the same:
javascript:var wdi=document.images;for (var i=0;i<wdi.length;i++) { if
(wdi[i].longdesc!=undefined && wdi[i].longdesc!='')
wdi[i].insertAdjacentHTML('afterEnd','<A
href="'+wdi[i].longdesc+'">D</A>'); } void 0

(for Mozilla you'll need to change the insertAdjacentHTML to DOM methods)

http://jibbering.com/2002/1/imageslongdesc.html also has some thoughts on
a script which helps visual users by using a visual tooltip with the link
in if the longdesc is available.

Jim.