Re: Support for LONGDESC

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Phill Jenkins wrote:

>> I'm giving a talk on web accessibility shortly.  I'd like to
>> know the status of mainstream browser support for LONGDESC.
>
>IBM Home Pager Reader, although some don't consider it "main stream", it is
>used by many sighted web developers to "see" the Longdesc as the "[image
>description]".
>
>A free trial version is available from http://www.ibm.com/able/hpr.html
>It will even speak with a British accent.

British accent: very nice.

If JAWS can get the longdesc when working with explorer then it might be
available from the DOM. That would mean that a javascript extension to
explorer should be able to get it too - if there isn't such a tool available,
maybe someone can produce one. (This is the sort of thing that Jim Ley seems
to be good at, so I hope if nobody else does he reads this message).

Amaya is not, by any criteria I know of, a mainstream HTML browser. But it
does support longdesc, although that isn't very cleaerly documented anywhere
(ACTION chaals get longdesc suppport into the documentation).

cheers

Chaals