RE: do vector graphics enhance our concept of self?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:19:05 +0100
To: "WAI List \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Jon,
> as far as png files go, as far as my limited (ie one file) test
> showed there
> was a 5-10% compression saving on gif, hardly comparable with ~300% for
> jpeg.

Yes, but JPEG acceives that by use of a compression algorithm which is
inappropriate for use with a transparency mask, so if such information was
needed it would either have to be compressed in a different manner (such as
PNG offers), or the transparency information would have to be out-of-band
(such as the SVG solution described by others).