Re: do vector graphics enhance our concept of self?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:15:25 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> seems weird to me, that these 2 standards (gif and jpeg) got stuck in the
> mire of history...

Basically because they represent the limit of what most authors can
understand.  I suspect that TIFF, which is even older, can probably
use different compression schemes for alpha and image channels, but
I don't know of any browser that has inbuilt support.

(From an HTML point of view, transparent images are something of a hack.
Languages designed for presentational use, like PostScript, PDF, and SVG,
use vector defined paths to clip the image.)