Re: standard key mappings

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:38:46 -0400 (EDT)
To: Danny Ayers <danny666@virgilio.it>
cc: W3c-Wai-Ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

In my experience these things are application-specific. Some of the more
widespread applications have widespread standards - MacOS introduced
command-C, command-X and command-V many years ago, and some variation of this
is now pretty common on non-unix systems (which tend to use shift-delete,
shift-insert or control-c, control-w, control-y). Beyond that, it seems
pretty hard to get unification.

It now seems to make more sense to me having configurations based on existing
conventions (making up yet another one is a terrible sin that I too have
committed) - provide a layer of indirection so you can call stuff via na
abstract interface layer, then describe a mappping to it. (This way you can
easily define an emacs-like mapping, an Opera-like mapping, and a
voice-control mapping...)

Cheers

Chaals