RE: non-sgml characters

From: Shashank Tripathi <sub@shanx.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:57:46 +0900
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

What an interesting thread, this. But I have a basic question.

Let us say I am building a website today. It is multilingual, and needs
to cater to people who don't quite know what a "browser" is. They just
use ""the internet", which could be IE 3 or Netscape 4 -- just because
it did not occur to them that they need to upgrade (and I speak of a
very big firm here in Tokyo). Currently, let us say we use big5 for
Chinese and Shift_JIS for Japanese content respectively.

Assuming this is old hat, how should we build websites that allow us to
be future-proof and support standards? Specifically, how should we
convert to UTF-8 etc? Is there any suggested guideline we should follow?
Any tool that allows us to convert big5 formatted text to UTF-8 text?

Would appreciate some insight.

Thanks,
Shashank