proper coding or use for mdash

From: clorisval pereira jr. <cjunior@nc-rj.rnp.br>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:15:38 -0300 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
In some portuguese language literature books, the mdash is often
used to indicate changes between characters in a dialogue.

for example:

John and Mary were talking about their vacation.
-- I had a great time in venice.
-- Did you see many historical places?
-- No, I had spent most of time from one restaurant to another.

I would like to know what should be the proper way to markup
dialogues like this, using accessible HTML, without changing the
original text. Does using the entity &mdash; alone suggests it
is a dialogue?

I would appreciate your thoughts or comments.

best regards,
--
clorisval pereira jr.  cjunior@rnp.br