RE: Two links (Image and Text) side by side - was Re: Another question about JAWS 4.01 rendering

At 09:01 PM 2002-02-21 , Jim Thatcher wrote:
>I have not even heard a suggestion of how to solve this problem.

Let's at least change that.

There are two suggestions that are obvious candidates for changing the HTML structure, here.

The one discussed at the end of the reference I gave is to extend LABEL to links, so that the image in one layout cell can be the LABEL for the link that contains the text.  Or vice versa.  What this takes is that activate events that hit either the text or the image follow the same href.  It requise the screen logic to be smart enough to apply 'has focus' styling to both of these at once rather than just one or the other.

We also need to get the 'list of links' builders to understand this and count distinct destinations and not screen objects, as there will still be two distinct sensitive screen objects.  I think that with a direct IDREF association this could be possible, where it just doesn't get done today.

At least with this device they are clearly defined as two heads of _the same_ link.

Another way to do this is via a define/use cycle the way SVG handles common subexpressions.  This can be done peer-to-peer if we define the action on one of the hyperlinks by reference to the other to make the identification clear.  This can be an upward-compatible grammar substitution (old documents are OK, old browsers are not...) where the hyperlink has either an attribute that gives you the URI-reference as in the current href or one that refers locally to another element defining the appropriate URI-reference.  That would make it reasonably easy for the assistive technology to collapse the list entries with the same destination.  They would be linked by this cross reference, it would not require N**2 comparisons of link URLs to determine the repeats.

Similarly, we could use a <linkDef> element in the <head> of the document and then use <linkRef> elements in the body, two of which cited the common <linkDef> and hence get collected as one list item in the list of links.

That's the general idea.

It's worth a go, IMHO.

Al

<link>