Re: Images in Headers

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 09:52:20 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> So if I wanted to use a specific font (or a font with a drop
> shadow, or a font that is stretched specifically, or even one with

That sort of logic basically leads to the conclusion that there will
never be a time when the don't use text as images rule becomes valid,
as you can always thing of another style that isn't supported by
the then generation of style sheets or stock fonts.

(This, of course, also happens in PDF, which does have strong
embeddable font support.  Tools, like Word Art come along and defeat
the design aim that you should be able to cut and copy the plain
text from a PDF document.  In the case of PDF, it is more a case that
people have lost touch with the medium and don't realise that it
embeds fonts, whereas most HTML designers are unaware that font
"embedding" is actually possible.)

Designers always want to be different from last year (although,
remarkably, they all seem to want to be different in the same way!),
so any technology is never goingt to meet their wants.