Re: Blinking images and Checkpoint 7.1

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:09:24 -0800
To: "Ken Reader" <kreader@attaininc.org>, "W3c-Wai-Ig (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 9:41 AM -0500 2/1/02, Ken Reader wrote:
>I was led to believe that any animated image was not acceptable on a web
>page because it might cause seizures in users with photosensitive
>epilepsy.

This isn't true. Animated images usually don't throb and flash at the
right rate to produce seizures. Those which do are banned, but other
animated gifs are not.

The main access problem with animated gifs is that it's hard to convey
all the textual content if there are many frames to the animation.  The
main usability problem with animated gifs is that they're distractive
by their nature, and should therefore only be used when you specifically
want to direct the user's attention and prevent the user from doing
nearly anything else.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours