Re: Creating accessible tables for layout and data

From: Jouni Heikniemi <jth@dns.mikrobitti.fi>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:01:25 +0200 (EET)
To: Jim Byrne <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>
cc: W3c_Access <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Jim Byrne wrote:

> I am eager to get some feedback - I am sure not everyone will agree with my
> conclusions.

I only quickly skimmed through the text, and I agree mostly. It's good to
see an accessibility article that is ready to accept compromises with the
HTML tables versus CSS dilemma.

However, I find it quite amusing that a fine accessibility article written
with considerable expertise fails in one basic way: the purely decorative
images have descriptive alt texts. After the first heading "Table
Manners", my Lynx says "Street Sign: Stop". Further down, there's one I
like even more: "These data tables generally have headings along the top
or down the side, or both. Pink flowers". Yeah :-)

Best regards,

Jouni