Re: This is obvious to me. Is anybody doing work on it?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 06:42:51 -0500 (EST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
As well as CC/PP the CSS working group recently published a last call draft
of "Media Queries" - a specification which goes some way to providing
conditional application of style sheets and similar mechanisms.
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/

This allows for a bit more privacy. An even more interesting approach to some
of this was work done at the University of Melbourne on Constraint-based CSS
- they actually implemented it in a browser (Amaya) but it (obviously) didn't
make it into the CSS standards...

cheers

Charles McCN

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, David Woolley wrote:

  > Mozilla/4.04 (Win95; I; ; IMP-CONT IMP-AUD)

  The inappropriateness of further abusing user agent comments, and the
  existing protocol have already been covered.  I'd just add that there
  is actually a privacy issue with all content negotiation options - as
  well as telling the site about you, if you specify enough, you get
  a fairly unique signature that can be used for click trailing.

  > IMP-VIS - the user is not able to perceive visual output

  You can get quite close to this by:

  Accept: image/*; q=0, */*; q=1

  although, strictly speaking, this only prevents the direct provision
  of an image, not the provision of text with embedded images.

  Deleted 59 lines of invalid HTML.