Re: Long desc techniques - what is the url pointing to?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:53:27 -0000
"Scarlett Julian (ED)":

> Excuse my obvious lack of grasping your point Jim but why is that
> description page inaccessible? If it contains plain text and nothing
else it
> can be accessed by any browser.

Yes, but not by any _user_ (Checkpoint 3.4 in WCAG 2.0), the examples
also makes little sense in isolation, they describe an image which unless
you've used the longdesc on an image to get to that url they aren't
meaningful (they describe images which you don't even know where to find
them.)

Are the longdescs intentionally only plain-text for some reason? (perhaps
because the url is designed for UA's to replace the image with the
longdesc rather than a url for humans to actually visit.)  Or should I
make the longdesc page accessible?

Jim.