From: KOROTNICKI, Malessa <Malessa.Korotnicki@qed.qld.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:44:23 +1000
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi all,

I'd like some advice on the correct usage of strong & em tags, especially in
regard to screen readers?

1. I know that the strong and em give differing emphasis to the contents
their applied to, but it is incorrect to nest them?

Does the nesting create an even stronger emphasis than just the strong?
If it was nested the other way, em within strong, would that make no

2. Should I use strong or em for titles, like in a bibliography? Or, if the
title quite long - eg. 'Conviction with compassion: a report on freedom of
religion and belief' - would that be too much to wrap in an emphasising tag?
Should I just use <i>?

- Mal