Mal wrote:
> 1. I know that the strong and em give differing emphasis to the contents
> their applied to, but it is incorrect to nest them?

No, it's not incorrect.

> Does the nesting create an even stronger emphasis than just the strong?

Presumably that's what it means, but I can't see how it would matter
much.  It does make certain parts of an already strong-or-em sentence
stand out, of course.

> If it was nested the other way, em within strong, would that make no
> difference?

Shouldn't.

> Also,
> 2. Should I use strong or em for titles, like in a bibliography? Or, if the
> title quite long - eg. 'Conviction with compassion: a report on freedom of
> religion and belief' - would that be too much to wrap in an emphasising tag?
> Should I just use <i>?

There's no limit on what you can put in an <em> tag, but in my opinion
it sounds like you are trying to use <em> to get a presentational effect
rather than trying to show special emphasis on the title of the work.
Therefore I suggest either <cite> or a <span> with an appropriate class
to effect the styling.

--Kynn