Re: object : when is support arriving, and more.

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:12:47 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> Probably after declarative ways of doing soundovers are implemented!

When I posted this, I was thinking that we were a fair way of
such declarative mechanisms, but afterwards I realised that a
small generalisation in an existing CSS2 attribute would do it,
e.g.:

a:hover {play_during: url(.....wav);}

The generalisation is the use of aural styles in visual browsers.
Generalising without the :hover is a more interesting question, and
this is only suitable for background effects - there seems no provision
for providing a high quality speech track to substitute for text to
speech processing, in the primary content.

As to the orignal question, the answer is basically when the market
demands it.  Currently sound doesn't work well except when the site
is on a local disk, and where it is used, the proprietory attributes
probably meet most commercial designers' needs (browsers are written
for them).