RE: background-image in CSS

At 3:27 PM -0500 1/17/02, Jason Megginson wrote:
>I'm going to have to disagree, Kynn.  Color in your case serves no
>purpose in conveying information, only layout and organization is made
>by the use of these colors.

Layout and organization are a type of information!

>Many (and I'm speaking by experience)
>low-vision users turn off colors associated with style sheets for better
>contrast, so as a means of information, it doesn't and shouldn't matter
>whether the pages are "color coded".

That's not necessarily true!

>If color here is in fact a means of information as you say, disabling
>style sheets would cause the page to be inaccessible, a violation of
>sorts, and I would think of changing your design.

No, you are incorrect and you did not read what I wrote carefully.
Disabling the style sheets does NOT cause the page to become inaccessible,
and it is not a violation, and the design does not have to be changed!

Layout and organization are ALWAYS a type of information!  If we
followed your principle, which is incorrect, then we could never use
color for any purpose!

The prohibition is on COLOR as the SOLE MEANS of conveying information.

Color can and does and SHOULD be used to convey information.  There
is nothing wrong with conveying information in more than one manner,
and in fact, that's what we want to do!

You are thinking about this completely backwards and you are the
one who is wrong here, Jason.  Please reconsider your disagreement!

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours