Re: List or Newsgroups? (RE: Help Unsubscribing)

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:26:15 +0000 (GMT)
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> The archive of this list http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig
> allows messages to be viewed in date order, in a threaded format, or
> organised by author. (Threads are broken into 3 month sections, which can
> minimise them or be annoying, depending on your prespective).

Yes, but:
 - it's painfully slow for reading in volume (OK for search/reference)
 - it requires you to be online
 - it's a much more primitive interface than news, and loses much
   of the convenience.  For example, my browser won't mark a complete
   thread as read and hide it, any more than my mailer will.

> By the way, if anyone has comments related to the accessibility of the
> archive (especially from a "I have this problem because..."
> perspective, maybe they would like to start a thread...

It's a matter of degree.  To me it would be *more* accessible if delivered
as news (a medium explicitly designed for high-volume group discussion).
And the fact that *some* people want to unsubscribe indicates that there
is a real problem.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>