RE: Netscape

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:59:10 -0800
To: RUST Randal <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 2:04 PM -0500 1/14/02, RUST Randal wrote:
>Kynn,
>
>Really the point of asking the question is based on the age-old request by
>clients to provide sites that work in IE and Netscape.  Our clients are now
>starting to ask for Section 508 compliance or some level of W3C WAI
>compliance.  In both instances, it is recommended that the <label> tag be
>used for forms.  So if Netscape doesn't support <label>, then why should we
>code for Netscape at all?

I don't know. You'd have to ask your clients that. I don't see any
particularly good reason to "code for" buggy versions of Netscape 4.
Code around it, maybe, if something will break.

What about a <label> tag makes the site "not work" in Netscape 4?
(Nothing, to the best of my knowledge.) Ergo, a form coded to 508 or
WCAG standards does indeed "work" in both IE and Netscape, as well
as a number of other browsers out there with varying degree of
standards compliance.

I'm still confused as to your question. Are you saying you would
stop using <label> because Netscape 4 has no idea what to do with
it? That sounds as absurd as removing a Braille sign because most
people in the world don't read Braille.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours