RE: statistics - for differences between accessible and non-acce ssible sites?

When I try to sell "accessibility" to my clients (either internal or
external), I don't sell accessibility.  I sell the idea that building a web
site in a certain way will make it faster and easier to update in the
future.  Which in turn saves money for everyone involved.

It also makes it easier for me to develop sites this way.  I have a template
XHTML file and a CSS file that defines all of the boxes I might need.  Then
I simply change the parameters of the CSS to what the client has asked for.

In essence, I turn it into a "business" issue, because inevitably, one of
the things ALL clients seem to want is "fast download time."  And you can't
get much faster if you get rid of tables by using CSS for positioning!

You should be able to easily generate statistics, based upon some simple
tests.  For example, last week I was given a page, which was laid out with
tables, to redesign.  The original file was 17K (just HTML!), and was
nothing more than a page with a header, a menu and some text.  Very
cumbersome.  When I was finished redesigning it, I had a 3K page with a 3K
CSS file.  So 6K altogether.  I effectively reduce the size of the page 35%!
If you take this approach, then I think you might have an easier time
convincing the client that the site will be faster and easier to use.

Randal Rust
Senior Consultant
Covansys, Inc.