Re: Accessible _content_ management

The point is that if I have difficulties reading, I cna concentrate on
reading the content, and not the markup. (This is not just people who are
identified as cognitively impaired. It really genuinely does apply to me, and
to many people I know, and the lack of WYSIWYG authoring tools that can
easily be used to produce accessible content is a genuine and significant
problem in making the web more accessible.

One of the big problems with the tools that do exist is that very few are
designed for working with structured content - they produce visualy formatted
contetn which has a structure implied in the presentation. Unfortunately,
that structure is lost when someone uses a presentation that suits them. In
the case of translating printed work to a different (fixed) print format this
is hard to avoid, but in the case of the web it simply represents a failure
to understand and use the medium.

The good news is that the situation is improving.

Cheers

Charles