Re: CSS percentage sizing

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 22:39:36 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> makes reading the thing very slow and awkward. The main body of text is

Which browser and version?  What platform?

> contained in a TD tag so I specified 50% in my stylesheet but it had no

It still jars when people write "tag" and mean "element".

> effect. I changed it to just 500 (for a laugh really) and to my surprise it

This is invalid CSS, although I believe that "px" is commonly interpolated
by browsers.

> worked and the text displays in a more narrow column which I don't need to
> scroll. So my question is why didn't the 50% work? What is it 50% of? Is
> that the point? I just don't like using fixed values.

IE 5.5 tables (Win 32) seem to have some non-intuitve behaviour for
percentages.  I had to style a table element with "font-size: 100%" to
get the expected behaviour of using the size given on the body element.
This might be an absolute size for table elements in the browser's
virtual style sheet, but might be an actual non-compliance.

The percentage of TD is, I believe, of the TR.