Re: free/not free proprietary

From: Nick Kew <nick@midgard.webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 22:48:50 +0100 (BST)
To: Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	I agree.  Put simply, there is not presently a browser
> that works with script for UNIX users who do not use X windows.
> Making X windows accessible is a huge order.
>
> 	The minimum functionality should be a browser engine that
> can at least follow all links and call auxiliary programs to
> handle content that the browser can not display as text.

For blind users, any kind of GUI would seem particularly pointless
(correct me if I'm wrong:-).  So a commandline-based system with,
for example, Lynx+Pine+Speech would be an ideal way of getting
online.  That is to say, subject to accessibility considerations.

One of the goals of my accessibility proxy proposal is a javascript
engine that will deal with scripting-based links on behalf of users,
whether of Lynx or of any other browser without scripting, or
anyone in a security-conscious environment.

--
Nick Kew