Re: Media: Olympics Site Targets Disabled

From: Tom Gilder <w3c@tom.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:29:47 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org, David Sloan <DSloan@computing.dundee.ac.uk>
On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, 11:03:18 AM, David Sloan wrote:
> "Athens is claiming an Olympic first this week as organisers for the 2004
> Games unveil what they say is the first website in the Olympic family to
> meet international standards for disabled access."
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1868000/1868566.stm

They're talking about http://www.athens.olympic.org/ ?

A page that redirects, gives me a message about having scripting disabled, is
nowhere near valid HTML, isn't searchable without scripting, has a drop-down
that only works with scripting, doesn't have alt text for all images, uses
deprecated and bloated HTML elements such as <font>, is that enough?

Better than previous efforts, yes - but nowhere near any "international
standards for disabled access" that I know of.

--
Tom Gilder
tom@tom.me.uk