Re: Frames and accessibility: opinions please

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> > OK I've never (I don't think) have actually seen a frames site but what
>
> That's almost impossible.  Virtually every second and lower rank e-commerce
> site, at least UK ones, is frames based.

what I mean is to have actually "seen" it, sort of how it was designed

usually it is

********
your browser doesn't seem to accept frames, please upgrade to IE *.* or NS
*.* and try again

frame: top
frame: left
frame: right
frame: bottom
**********

Bob

> > does frames do that can't be done easier and more accessibly with other
> > methods of construction???
>
> Reasons people use frames (not reccommendations):
>
> 1) Fixed menu shared over multiple pages
> 2) Provide persistence of scripting variables across pages
> 3) Easy to create layouts bounded by the screen boundary on all four sides
> 4) The basic infrastructure also supports popping up new windows
>    (seen as desirable by many/most designers!)
> 5) Easy to force ones own advertising onto every page provided by your
>    customer
> 6) Effectively makes deep linking impossible (some people seem to think
>    this is an advantage!  Often causes Javascript warnings as a deep
>    linked frame tries to re-establish the frameset, by going to the home
>    page.)
> 7) Can show other people's pages as though they are yours (this is frowned
>    upon and often results in Javascript warnings as the victims try to
>    escape)
> 8) Can provide cheap domain name hosting ("cloaked redirection") by wrapping
>    an external, ISP based site in a database generated frameset, often,
>    illegally containing only one frame; the address bar always shows the
>    custom domain name, not the www.isp.com/~user/ URLs that really contain
>    the page.

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks