Re: A new one: label vs. Scope

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:37:28 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> HTML is broke in my opinion regarding labels (for and by), fieldset,
> legend.  LEGEND is currently only specified as a ELEMENT contained within a
> FIELDSET element and can't span table markup.

Fieldset and legend are basically implementing a pre-existing Windows
design idiom, as for example supported in Visual Basic from version 2 or
earlier.  They didn't use tables, because they could place each visual
element independently (although you can't actually place a component
of a field set outside its bounds).  You are only getting this problem,
I think, because you are using tables to hack the layout.

(I don't know how MSAA based tools handle the Visual Basic equivalent.)