Nielsen-Norman Studies on Children & Seniors

From: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:14:44 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Jakob Nielsen & co. are back with more usability studies & recommendations,
focusing on children 5-11 & adults 65 & up.

For a brief summary, see the following:

>Web frustrates children: studies
>Current Web design easily frustrates children, yet creates a satisfying
>experience
>for seniors, a pair of studies has concluded.
>http://enewsletters.f2network.com.au/cgi-bin16/flo?y=eBaW0CB2M0sv0ESl0AA
>
>Some more detail can be found on www.useit.com . Of course, as with the
>disability access study, you have to purchase the reports to get the full
>nitty & gritty.

Still, some ideas well worth thinking about, particularly useful for
knowing where the pitfalls are for Web users of different ages.

Nielsen's most recent Alertbox includes a lot of information from the
findings of the study on children:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020414.html

Points that jumped out at me: Children tend to get Mom & Dad's old
computer, so tend to work with older tech; they are frustrated by more
complex site designs; adding sound & animation tends to keep their attention.

Patrick