Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> At 6:27 PM -0500 12/26/01, Access Systems wrote:
> >   A disabled person in Central America, Central Africa, many parts of
> >Asia, even the South Pole have very limited access to the web and must get
>
> Right, and that's why those people should have access to a text-only
> browser that supports HTML 4.01, CSS, XHTML, XML, DOM, ECMAscript,
> SVG, and more.

why not a degradable baseline, that is VERY basic

> The solution isn't to say, "well, it's okay for those people to
> continue to have limited access to the web!" nor is it okay to say

but who is going to put in the new telephone infrastructure, the power
grid, and all those new computers??

> "we'll have to limit everyone else's access to the web!"  The solution

no, not limit everyone else, but don't deny the basic user.

> realize that it's NOT set in stone (unlike some people who believe that
> 1996's HTML is all we need!),

for many of these people a 1996 HTML would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade!

> and then encourage work on browsers to
> meet those targets.

right, but who is doing the work, the Univ of Kansas has taken the bull by
the horns and maintain Lynx.  who is volunteering to do the work in any
other basic browser???

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privledged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks