Acrobat PDF & Accessibility

From: William R Williams/R5/USDAFS <wrwilliams@fs.fed.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 09:36:50 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hello,

It's been debated often, I suspect; yet, if my experience means anything,
much disagreement exists about the "true" accessibility of pdfs on the web.
Certainly, Adobe has promoted the application and worked diligently to make
them accessible, but others - such as Jakob Nielsen - suggest avoiding pdfs
for on-screen delivery.

I know there are definite usability issues, but how does this group stand
on the accessibility of PDFs?

Thanks!
Bill Williams
Communication Technician