From: Vadim Plessky [mailto:lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2001 4:53 PM
To: Max Dunn
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org; www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Re: SVG - A thought

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 08:58, Max Dunn wrote:
[many interesting links...]

|   I think for tiny devices a scaled back spec makes sense, but
compared to
|   the size of typical browsers and operating systems of Today there is
|   nothing bloated about Adobe's SVG Viewer on a PC.

Here you are wrong.
Of course you can't make WinXP or Win98 more bloated by adding *just
another
11MB*.
But this size matters for Linux, and especillay for PDAs.
How you will put extra 11MB, say, on Compaq iPAQ?

|   Rather than put a crippled form of SVG in web browsers, perhaps
Adobe
|   should put a rudimentary XHTML browser/XSLT Processor into their SVG
|   Viewer.

Or make their SVG plugin open-sourced - than people with good coding
knowledge will strip all fat from that plugin. :-))

Note that there are people who run Linux (or other OSes) on PowerPC,
Alpha
and other platforms, I know some people run KDE on IBM zSeries servers
(previously known as mainframes)
Adobe just can't catch up on all those platforms. And there is no SVG
plugin
from Adobe for those platforms.

Abyway, about putting a rudimentary XHTML browser/XSLT Processor into
SVG
Viewer - this will not help in case of Adobe.
I tested Adobe plugin for Linux with Mozilla 0.9.5. Mozilla is bloated
by
itselkd, takesa around 20 sec. to load here. And .. SVG plugin takes
another
15 sec. to display page.
Yes, you can get rid of Mozilla, it will save you 20 sec. But 15 sec.
for
startup is still enermous!..

|   Max

- --